Sunday, October 6, 2013

..in moderation all things are okay

okay fine so maybe not ALL THINGS. But when it comes to this lifestyle I think the way I have been able to maintain for over a year now is I never feel as though I am depriving myself from anything. so fad diets (which i must admit i have tried in the past), no carb, low carb, juice only, no food, and whatever else are just not for me. I do not at all put down people who do these "diets" I however am just not on a diet. The reason why this time around things were different for me on this weight loss journey is because I look at it as a complete lifestyle change. Me dropping the pounds was not temporary but long term.

With that said I do know that  there are times when life will get in the way of healthy. For example family parties, dinners with friends, work functions, the holidays, date night with my husband ect. I try to plan ahead in order to not go over the "deep end" too much however I enjoy these get togethers and parties and if once in a while I do eat or drink things I normally do not that is perfectly FINE.
My journey of hard work will not be ruined by one bad day or night and as long as I catch myself and hop back on the following day I know that I will be fine.

Last night we had a celebration for my sister in law and my grandfather in laws birthdays. I knew in advance what they would be eating for dinner (stuffed shells and lasagna) and i knew it simply was not worth it for me to spend my calories on that. 1. Its not my favorite meal so not eating it would not make me feel like i will missing out. and 2. I knew there would be alcohol involved at some point in the night and I would rather spend some calories on that for the night (just being honest).
I brought my own dinner-grilled chicken with veggies. I got some comments such as "why would you bring your own dinner" "wow is she really not eating what we are eating" "is she serious". Honestly I do not by any means find it disrespectful that I brought my own meal and I truthfully would not have done it had I have thought it was wrong. I have many people in my life who thought me dropping weight was something I did and now that I did it I can go back to eating whatever I want. Well you know what, that is not true.

After dinner was done the drinks began to flow and the celebrations really started. We made an apple cider sangria and it was absolutely delicious.

I for sure will be saving the recipe for later use, especially now that the holidays are around the corner!

Apple cider sangria:
1 bottle pinot grigio
2 1/2 cups fresh apple cider
1 cup club soda
1/2 cup ginger brandy
3 honey crisp apples
3 chopped pears

Directions:
combine all and stir
chill for an hour-2 hours
enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment